Jesus Christ Encourages Me!

I’ve had the immense privilege of being encouraged by many brothers and sisters in Christ, particularly from those who attend Pillar Bible Church. They have encouraged me in numerous ways through gifts, laughter, ministry, words of wisdom, etc. For all that they’ve done for me and continue to minister to me, I will forever be in debt. But I must admit that I find my greatest encouragement when I am reminded of what Christ has done for sinners like me and how He is both the source and sustainer of my soul, thereby making it not merely a possibility but a reality that I persevere before God in the face of this world. You see, it’s no revelation that I am a BIG sinner, with particular struggles and many weaknesses (too embarrassing to list and too many to mention). I feel like a failure everyday. I am reminded of mistakes and sins in the past that I’ve repented of. I am tempted to think wrong thoughts of God. The devil both accuses and tempts me left and right. On top of it all, my flesh yearns for godlessness. This is not a special case, however, as I’m sure that you the reader can testify to this all so well. At times like this God providentially leads me to read of Christ, His love, His mercy, His sacrifice, His sufficiency, and His faithfulness to me. This is why I am learning to love Jesus Christ more and more as days go by. This is why I lean on Him and find my greatest encouragement. J.C. Ryle writes (geared towards young men and women without Christ but just as relevant even for those already in Christ):
"Do you want to consult friends? He is the best friend: ‘a friend who sticks closer than a brother’ (Proverbs 18:24). Do you feel unworthy because of your sins? Do not fear: His blood cleanses from all sin. He says, ‘Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool’ (Isaiah 1:18). Do you feel weak, and unable to follow Him? Do not fear: He will give you the power to become sons of God. He will give you the Holy Spirit to live in you, and seal you for His own; He will give you a new heart, and He will put a new spirit within you. Are you troubled or beset with a strange bent to evil? Do not fear: there is no evil spirit that Jesus cannot cast out, there is no disease of soul that He cannot heal. Do you feel doubts and fears? Throw them aside: ‘Come to Me,’ He says; ‘whoever comes to me I will never drive away.’ He knows very well the heart of a young man. He knows your trials and your temptations, your difficulties and your foes. In the days of His flesh He was like yours--a young man at Nazareth. He knows by experience a young man's mind. He can understand the feeling of your temptations--because He Himself suffered when He was tempted. Surely you will be without excuse if you turn away from such a Savior and Friend as this."
Nothing encourages like Jesus Christ. This is why it is good to be a believer though it may be challenging and difficult at times.

0 Comments: