Ways Parents Provoke (Part 1)

I hardly, if ever, have an original idea. I do not know much, but what I do know did not originate from me. Rather, they have all been from what I've felt, heard, read, smelled, watched, etc. I share that to acknowledge that this series on "Ways Parents Provoke (Their Children)" is not a result of my insightfulness but rather that of one of my heroes', John MacArthur, fruitful study and ministry. I hope that you'll benefit much from it in your current parenting or for future sakes. I know that I will being that my sinfulness is bent on provoking rather than leading my "gifts" (i.e., children). Again, enjoy!
In Ephesians 6:4, Paul writes, “Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.”.. we will look at the command to not provoke. To “provoke . . . to anger” suggests a repeated, ongoing pattern of treatment that gradually builds up a deep–seated anger and resentment that boils over in outward hostility. Such treatment is usually not intended to provoke anger. Here are eight ways in which parents can provoke their children to anger:
1) Well–meaning overprotection is a common cause of resentment in children. Parents who smother their children, overly restrict where they can go and what they can do, never trust them to do things on their own, and continually question their judgment build a barrier between themselves and their children—usually under the delusion that they are building a closer relationship. Children need careful guidance and certain restrictions, but they are individual human beings in their own right and must learn to make decisions on their own, commensurate with their age and maturity. Their wills can be guided but they cannot be controlled.

1 Comments:

Eunice Kim said...

Hi Mo' JDSN (unless you're already a pastor by now), this is Eunice, Pastor Nathan and Grace SMN's daughter from TGSC. I happened to obtain the URL to your blog from Justin so I just thought I could take this chance to congratulate you and Heon SMN on your new baby! I'm really happy to hear that God has been blessing you so bountifully. As for me, I'm doing very well. I'm studying English at a private school in Massachusetts. If you and Heon SMN ever feel like contacting me, my email address is ekim11@amherst.edu. Once again, it's really great to hear the news about the new addition to your family!