The Preciousness of Time (Part 1)

If there is one man I'd like to meet and learn from, it's definitely Jonathan Edwards. Having had the opportunity to take The Theology of Jonathan Edwards about a year ago, I came to learn firsthand why he is hailed as America's greatest philosophical theologian (just read his Freedom of the Will), a man of great affections for God (just read his Religious Affections), a man of great resolve (just read his Resolutions), and so much more (just read George M. Marsden's biography, Jonathan Edwards). What also amazed me about Edwards was his almost impeccable use of time and the profound determination he applied to maximizing it. He very faithfully lived by his resolution #41: "Resolved, to ask myself at the end of every day, week, month, and year, wherein I could possibly in any respect have done better." I know that an average man like myself will never become the genius that he was or leave such a deep footprint in both North American and Christian history, but I do long to make the most of my time, and thereby my life, even as he did. This deep spiritual longing of mine is not consistently exercised by this body of mine, however. I also know that I am not the only believer who is battling in this area, if not struggling in it on a daily basis. So, with you and this sinner in mind, I am going to post a long series on the godly use of time from Edward's "The Preciousness of Time" based on Ephesians 5:16 (dated December, 1734). My hope is that it will be of deep help to both you and me. Read, learn, and grow.

THE PRECIOUSNESS OF TIME

AND THE

IMPORTANCE OF REDEEMING IT

EPH. v. 16.
Redeeming the time.
Christians should not only study to improve the opportunities they enjoy, for their own advantage, as those who would make a good bargain; but also labour to reclaim others from thier evil courses; that so God might defer his anger, and time might be redeemed from that terrible destruction, which, when it should come, would put an end to the time of divine patience. And it may be upon this account, that this reason is added, Because the days are evil. As if the apostle had said, the corruption of the times tends to hasten threatened judgments; but your holy and circumspect walk will tend to redeem time from the devouring jaws of those calamities.—However, thus much is certainly held forth to us in the words; viz. That upon time we should set a high value, and be exceeding careful that it be not lost; and we are therefore exhorted to exercise wisdom and circumspection, in order that we may redeem it. And hence it appears, that time is exceedingly precious.

0 Comments: